Fiction Entry by Carina McCallum, Age13, Year 8.
Dear Diary,
My dumb Mother thinks she is soooooooo, like, in charge of my life! I mean, she thinks I should, like, totally audition for this thing at the local theatre. I want to, like, be famous and all, but not in THAT way. I told her I can audition for the X Factor 'cause I, like, wanna be a famous singer, but OB-VI-OUS-LY she is, like, SO telling me I should be in the production at the local theatre. I mean, I'm 16! And she wants me to audition for a play for, like, 6 year olds! That idea is dumber than my little sisters' yapping robot dog thing that just won't SHUT UP!
Anyway, back to the audition idea. I don't want to give up my time for a dumb part in a stupid play, but my mum is a lawyer and she has so many, like, good arguments. I might as well do the dumb auditions and just, like, try and act badly. I'll talk to you tomorrow after the auditions.
24 Hours later
Omg, omg, OMG!!! I can't BELIEVE I got the main part of that STUPID PLAY! OH-MYGOD! I can't believe I have to commit to this THING now! I don’t, like, WANT to go on that dumb play, but I can't , like, do anything to un-get the part of Santa in "A Christmas Carol". I don't have to , like, go on till the end which is a HUGE relief. But I have to learn a dumb script and the jokes aren't even funny! Why can't they, like, make just make people laugh and not get the awkward silence that is, like, soooooooo embarrassing. I so can't wait till the X Factor auditions, 'cause I am just naturally, like, a hell good singer.
My friends Lottie and Kate think that I deserve to go on the X Factor. I'm gonna be singing "hallelujah" and I sung it to Kate and she thought that I was really awesome. I hope the judges like it. Apparently Mel B is gonna be there and I just L-O-V-E her songs.
She, like, made me wanna become a famous singer through X Factor and I think she is EPIC! Oh, for crying out loud mum, I'll be, like, 2 minutes! I gotta go lay the table. I'll talk to you after my 'rents go to bed.
5 Hours Later
Hey, hey! Dad came home with a family dinner box from Mac's, which sucks 'cause now I am, like, not gonna need the big pillow to be Santa! At least I saw the funniest status on Facebook: "Dolphins are just Gay Sharks"! OMG I fell off my chair laughing at that. Mum invited Lottie and Kate over to "help me learn my lines". Yeah, mum, the jokes that result in an AKWARD SILENCE! Kate loves the drama class at school, and she was really, like, SO more helpful than my mum. Anyway, Kate is the best in the class for English and she helped me understand what my dumb jokes meant.
At about 10 we went on Facebook and Kate and Lottie told me I should, like, put up one of my jokes on my wall to see how many likes I get. We waited for about an hour.
The result of likes: 4. Now THIS is why I didn't want to audition for this REALLY DUMB PLAY! The play is next week, and I learnt all my lines except for a couple of dumb jokes.
1 WEEK LATER
OMG! Just 15 minutes before I go on stage! I am writing this as I wait in the wings of the stage. To my surprise after the coke, big Mac, and the chicken Mcbites, I still needed the pillow under my costume! How AMAZING is THAT! I am freaking out though, and my friends are here and just to see me, Ella De Freya, look like an unbelievable TWIT! I have 2 minutes; I'll talk to you after the curtains go down! God, I am lucky that this is a one night only event!
10 Minutes Later
OMG! I feel like People L-O-V-E-D me! I didn't get that, like, awkward silence and my
Friends love me EVEN MORE after the performance! At least I have something to put up as a, like, status on Facebook. I will get, like, SO may likes. I am so glad they have heaps of makeup wipes in the dressing room area, 'cause my face needs my moisturiser! Mum said can choose where I, like, wanna go for tea. I mean, how cool is that !? I said I wanna go to McDonalds, but I don't wanna dine in cause then I'll look, like, SO fat. My Dad said I wasn't fat, but we still went throughout the drive through.
Since we were in the Mercedes I couldn't eat it on the way home, but
when we got home I went upstairs to my room and ate my Maccas in front of my,like, flatscreen and watched "Avatar". By the time it finished it was, like, so late. It was 11:39 and my parents were in bed. I couldn't, like, sleep for some reason, but I didn't care. I wasn't, like, tired. I went on Facebook and I saw that Lottie and Kate were online, so I chatted to them. When it was, like, 1:32 or something I switched of and put my Mac on charge.
I know this sounds , like, soooooo lame and stuff, but I really, like, liked acting, and like, didn’t mind like committing to the play and , like I really felt like I totally belonged to the, like, community and they soooooooooo L-O-V-E-D me and I felt, like, sooooooo great!!
Fiction Entry by Chelsea Rushton Yr 9 14 yrs
Title: Summer
The summer heat hit my face with the force of a shockwave. It’s the hottest driest summer in 20 years. I have always loved summer and it’s hot unpredictability, maybe thats why I was named after it. That’s me Summer Turner, long dirty blonde hair that looks like it always needs a wash, bright green eyes that are the same emerald green as the gemstone, denim shorts and a singlet. I live on a sheep and cattle farm in rural, south east WA. The summer heat always hits hard and I’m always off finding the sheep and cattle so I can bring them to water and food.
“Summer! Dinners ready!”
That’s my mum, total opposite of of me. I’m short and slim whereas she’s tall and round. My father looks just like me, except that he’s tall and always sunburnt. I tan, which I find hard to believe due to the rest of my family. I was born to be a farm girl but as I grew up I started to get bored of the repetitiveness of farm life. Everyday the same thing drive around checking each paddock for injured livestock, feeding the dogs, the chickens, the sheep, the cattle and still get to the bus on time. My older brother used to help but he moved to Perth and left me here to do it by myself.
School is something that I enjoy and am pretty good at it. I am in year 10 and top of most classes. My school is a small school that always seems really up to date with technology.
“Hey there Summer! Hey Babe!”
Big strong arms wrapped around my stomach and spun me around. I looked up and met James’s deep blue eyes. His eyes said it all, I love you, he had a way of saying that without actually saying it. The bell rang it’s long piercing ring. We ran inside.
Darcy, my best friend is a townie and is terrible when it comes to farm life. Her face is always plastered with more make up the the rest of the school. Her dark, brown eyes are encircled with black mascara and bright red eyeliner. All the boys in town cringe because they all know how pretty she was, before she got involved with Boston.
My only problem with my friends isn’t Darcy’s sudden change or the way Boston’s almost black eyes scare the hell out of me, but that James isn’t afraid to show his love for me even though I have no intention of ever going out with him. Sure he’s tall, strong and the most sought after guy in school but I don’t want a boyfriend and never have.
It’s the annual harvest dance and all the dusty, old farmers and their wives are coming into town. It’s possibly the biggest event on the town calendar. James asked me to go but I said no. Every year for the last 3 years I have babysat Mrs White’s kids. Mrs White lives down the road from us and is Boston’s mother. James offered to help me but his mother had him helping in the kitchen at the dance.
The day of the Harvest Dance, the town was a buzz with excited locals. Children were running around screaming and laughing, while their parents ran in and out of the dusty little shops and the old pub that always smelled of stale beer and burned out tobacco. Darcy and I walk slowly, dodging kids, towards the only decent place in town street, the deli. The bell sounded it’s usual high pitched ding as we walked into the dank, dark shop.
Mum and Dad dropped me off at the Whites on their way to the Harvest Dance. They, unlike me, could stand all the smelly old farmers trying to dance with you.
“Summer” squealed little Henry as i opened the door. I picked Henry up and gave him a massive hug.
“So what are we doing tonight? Hello Mrs White. Hey Tyla” I replied. I loved babysitting for Mrs White. Henry and Tyla were always well behaved and went to bed when you told them to.
“There is dinner in the fridge and they can go to bed later than normal tonight.”
What Mrs White doesn’t know is that I put them to bed late normally anyway.
After numerous games of hide and seek, 3 Post Man Pat movies and a game of snap finally got Henry and Tyla to bed. It wasn’t till nearly an hour later that I smelt it. Fire. I ran out on to the porch. Flames licked at the trees and getting closer and closer to the house. I ran inside and picked up the two way and flicked it to the fire channel. “Fire. Whites place.” Thats all I said. I didn’t have time for anything else. I ran into the bedroom and woke Henry and Tyla. Henry put his boots on and we ran.
The fire raged all around, the heat pounding against us. Tyla in my arms and Henry running next to me. I knew we couldn’t out run a fire with out help, but what other choice did we have. We were going to hit the main road soon but I didn’t think we would make it with all us coughing due to the smoke. The problem with the living in the country is all the fences. At every fence we had stop, I’d lift Henry over then give him Tyla and finally jump over myself. Every time this happened the fire got closer and now i could feel it.
In the distance above the cracking of the dry wood, as the fire raced across the paddock, was the welcome sound of vehicles. Firetrucks, cars, and then the shouting as people saw us. But no one moved to help us. Then without warning one of the utes drove through the open gate and straight towards us. I sighed with relief. The ute stopped. I ran forward and opened the door, put Tyla in then lifted Henry in and finally got in myself.
As the ute sped back towards the gate, I saw our savior with his cold hard eyes glued to the road was James. We kept going out the gate and along the road back to town.
“Thankyou” was all I could get out. Before slumping back in the seat and cuddling Henry and Tyla to me.
When we got back to town we drove to the town hall where they had had the Harvest Dance. All you could see was the nervous wives and families of the farmers that had gone to fight the fire.
“Tyla! Henry! Your ok Thank goodness for that.” Mrs White screamed hysterically as we got out of the ute. “And you to Summer. Thank you for getting them out of there.” I was looking for James to thank him properly but before I got to Mrs White gave me a massive hug and I never found James again that night.
It took them all night to put out the fire. The after math of the fire was just as devastating as the fire it’s self. Even thought harvest was technically over, the fire had wiped out a good deal of the regions sheep and cattle, and burnt out the remaining crops. Thankfully no one was injured. It turned out that the only people not at the harvest dance was Henry, Tyla and I.
The police did a major investigation into the fire and found Boston guilty of starting the fire. That was a shock to everyone except Boston and Darcy. Darcy had apparently figured out that something was up when Boston said that he had to leave the dance early to go home. When she heard about the fire she instantly knew it was B oston who had done it. Boston went with the police like it was normal and didn’t return till early May.
The fire hadn’t destroyed many houses but it still took the the town a while to get back to normal. The Whites were the worst off.They had lost everything to the fire and their eldest son to the police. They sold the land and moved into town.
After my experience I decided to join my dad on the fire committee. I was the only girl and the youngest but they all had no problem with me joining. James joined to, but I think that was just to impress me. He didn’t have to no after his heroic save. I finally said that I would go out with him. It would have to be the second best decision of my life, the first being joining the fire committee.
Different people have different talents. Some choose to use their qualities wisely and some don’t. I along with many others am a member of the Esperance Goldfields Surf Life Saving (EGSLSC). I started as a nipper, playing games and getting fit. I am now a bronze medallion holder and have the ability to patrol the beach. I have to take action if there is a situation where a member of the public needs help on the beach or in the water. It makes me feel good that people rely on me and that is one of the highlights of belonging to a club or organization.
There is also a certain amount of commitment involved in surf life saving. I have to put in to being a member of the club. Act-Belong-Commit can be summed up into one word - volunteering. You may think that being a volunteer isn’t fun because you don’t get paid. However, at the end of the day I enjoy being a volunteer and believe that it creates different opportunities for me and I like putting back into the community I live in. It is also a heck of a lot of fun.
In the last few seasons of Surf Life Saving I have not had to make many serious actions on the beach. Although I have heard of stories where there has been major rescues that sounded very dramatic.
Last year a girl in the club was running into the water at the start of a swimming race. She dived into the water and hit her head on the sand. I’m not sure what part of her body she injured, I just know it had something to do with her neck. I was paddling on a board waiting to catch a wave when I saw the incident happen. I signalled for assistance to the members on patrol and they instructed the others to prepare to get her out of the water and call the ambulance. It was a suspected spinal injury so it was a high priority to treat her carefully to prevent any further injury.
The ambulance came about forty five minutes after the incident. During that waiting period another girl was walking on the grass and out of the blue she just collapsed. She was unconscious and was rushed by the club president for oxygen therapy. Another ambulance was called out to the club. Two ambulances in two hours. It was a very busy day. Fortunately we heard back from both of the girl’s families and they were both fine.
Part of my commitment is going out every sunday to participate in activities with the little kids. I also train in and out of the water for competitions locally and in Perth. Competitions are great because you get to see the skills that other clubs have. You also get to meet new people and make new friends that have similar interests to you.
Last season at the presentation night I received the Junior Club Achiever Award. I received this award for excellence in participation, attitude and leadership during season 2010/2011. (This was the comment I received with the award). Getting an achievement like this made me realise that belonging to a club that accepts me is very important. That is why I help out at local events and fundraisers for the club.
Last year there was a group of about 100 German tourists. The Surf Life Saving club put on a demonstration for them which I was involved in. We performed a race for them that consisted of rowing, swimming, board paddling and ski paddling. I paddled the board for my team. It was great to see all of the German tourists cheering and because the conditions were great it turned out to be a fantastic night. After the demonstration there was a dinner and it was a great opportunity for me to socialize with people from a foreign country.
This year at the Esperance Show the Surf Life Saving Club ran the beer tent. Next door to the beer tent was a sausage sizzle. I along with other club members volunteered to help out at the sausage sizzle. It was great to learn how to work with food and deal with customers. Overall I enjoy helping out with anything I can to raise money for the club and its equipment.
This story represents my involvement with the Esperance Surf Life Saving Club. However it is more than just a club for me, it is about helping other people and committing to something I believe benefits our community.
Fiction entry by Sarah Barr, Yr 9, Age 12-14 category
I live in a world where its do or die. I’ve known that since I was born. It’s been grilled into me my whole life. The neighbouring countries invade regularly, so when that happens we know what to do. We commit to the fight! This time we weren’t ready. That’s why I live in a roughly dug underground hideout of the rebellions, where it’s dark, damp and dirty. My name is Theia and I live in a land different to your own.
Living like caged dogs without any personal space is like hell, but we put up with it – my twin brother Cole and I – we put up with it because our parents died for a cause we believe in. When you’re nine years old, losing your mother and father is traumatizing, but the worst thing was the years we lost. The years we spent with only the heartless rebels for company. No friends and bossy instructors who instilled in us everyday that we must Act, Belong and Commit to the cause. This is my life and this is my story.
“Come on Theia, they’re making an announcement” Cole calls me over and the crowd envelopes us. I feel someone tug on my mess of blonde curls as the leaders - a tall hairy man in his 40’s, a small woman with not a hair out of place and a shadow of a man that never comes far out into light - stand in front of us on a raised platform. The hairy one begins to speak. We all become quiet as if he’s struck us dumb.
“My dear rebels, we’ve made an important decision,” He says in a gravely voice “We are going to mount an attack in two days time on those who dare call our land home. I need all fourteen through eighteen year olds to volunteer for the fight. The enemy will never expect it and…”
“What about the kids?” A tall dark haired boy says as he steps forward, his green eyes catching the light.
“Hold your tongue Aleric!” The small woman says.
“No! It’s not right to send kids out to do your dirty work, My parents died in a stupid rebellion like this. If we’re going to fight we need to fight with strategy. We need to stop thinking of the enemy’s tactics and think of the lives they’ve taken!” Aleric shouts. A little girl tugs on his shirt and he picks her up.
“You will do as you are told Aleric that is our final word” Hairy says.
“He’s right, it’s not right to send children out” I say, something about this boy makes me want to stand up to them even though we are taught to trust our leader’s judgment. Hairy looks like he’s about to explode.
“You’re Theia aren’t you?” asks Shadowman
I nod and Hairy looks angry as if I’ve wronged him somehow.
“This will happen! You are dismissed” Hairy shouts.
Cole grabs my arm and we leave. I bump into the boy Aleric as he storms out with the little girl, he steadies me with a strong arm and mouths the word ‘Thanks’.
Two day’s later I’m surrounded by the rest of the kids who ‘volunteered’ in the outskirts of what used to be the capital city. The decorated parliamentary buildings standing in the centre of the city are our targets. While we destroy from the inside the rest of the rebels destroy from the outside. Tucked in my belt is my hand gun and a knife while I’m holding my bigger more dangerous gun carefully.
“Hey thanks for the other day I never actually got to thank you” Aleric whispers.
“No worries I’m Theia by the way” I whisper back.
“I’m Aleric” he says.
“Yeah I…”
I’m interrupted by our leader, a tall eighteen year old named Maria.
“Ok let’s head in people lets go, Nico do you have it?” Nico a small fuzz haired boy holds out a small controller.
“Hard to believe it’s a bomb” Aleric whispers.
“Let’s go!” Maria says.
We make our way through the beautiful city that used to be my home. When we reach the tunnel that leads to the Parliamentary Palace, we walk for what seems like forever, until we reach the trap door. Maria signals for Aleric, Cole and I to go distract parliament so they can plant the bomb. We make our way to the big ornate doors. We knock to be polite before we storm the place guns up stunning parliament.
“Alright everyone! Let’s just stay calm, no need to be alarmed, we’re just going to blow you up” Cole says sarcastically and I can’t help but chuckle.
A tall man with a crown on his head and an ornate knife in his hands stands next to a throne.
“They really should stop trying to over throw us” he says in a low harsh voice
“Why?” I ask
“You should stop trying because you’ll never win we will always have the advantage because you’re leaders are too blinded by hate for us”.
Before I can register what he’s saying his knife goes flying, Aleric steps in front of me and the knife enters his body most likely piercing his lung. He falls to the ground just as the bullets hit the leader’s chest. I fall to Alerics side and and try to save his life.
“Stop there’s no point” he grabs my hands “Promise you’ll look after my sister Cecilia, she’s got no one now and she’s only six” His green eyes hold mine “Please” he whispers
“I will” I say.
He struggles for breath and I watch as the light fades from his eyes. He sags and Cole pulls me up, we run and all I think is that blast will destroy everything. Later I’ll hear the cheers of the rebels but for now all I can think is Aleric saved my land and my life. I will repay the favour I will commit to saving his sister from these harsh people I call kin.
Watching bright green grass springing up from the burnt ground, wondering how something so beautiful as a wildflower can grow after such a horrifying ordeal. A bushfire, burning every little thing to black ash, how is it that nature always recovers better, more beautiful and stronger to face another day. Green leaves appearing from what looked like a dead gum tree, birds rebuilding their homes, and then the much needed rain. Washing the land to its very soul, cleansing it, renewing it. What looked like the end, like you just want to close the book and give up on everything, stop breathing and just fade away. Something deep within your very soul, your being, something gives you that little push. Sometimes life throws a bushfire at you, consuming your life, feeling like you want to crash down and burn out. Whether its heartbreak, loss or confusion you are strong enough to live the life you are given. Snapping out of her day dreaming, Claire turned her horse and rode back towards the homestead.
Pulling off her cowgirl boots, Claire stepped into the cool, dark familiarity of home. She
had never known anything else, the eighteen years she had grown up on their family farm she had fallen in love with the land. She could not imagine her life anywhere else. Walking into the kitchen, Claire could tell something was wrong. Looking at both her parents at the table, she could see the tears glistering in her mothers eyes, she had never seen her father like this. He had a blank, worried expression on his pale face, he looked like someone just stabbed him in the hart, Clair thought. “What’s happened?” Was all Claire could manage, feeling like her breath has been sucked out of her. “We have fallen behind with our payment to the bank with the fire ruining all our crop. Now the bank is claiming the farm.” her dad stuttered. “We have tried everything.” her mum whispered, an effort to calm her heartbroken daughter. “No, no, please no.” Claire cried as she felt the worlds weight settle on her slim tanned shoulders.
Claire, feeling the warm tears roll down her rosy cheeks, she pushed a golden blonde curl out of her face, her dark brown eyes stinging with tears. Looking up through foggy eyes, her two best friends made their way towards her with worried expressions. “Oh Claire.” Lisa whispered as she knelt beside her sobbing friend, giving Kate a unsure look she scooped her friend up into her arms. “We will find a way Claire, we’ll come up with the money somehow.” Kate said handing her friend a scrunched up tissue. “Promise?” Claire said with the sound of faint hope in her voice. “Promise!” her two friends said in unison. “If only I can get my horse into the state final I could win enough money to buy us some more time.” Claire thought out loud. “Well, you do qualify for the finals don’t you Claire?” Kate said said with a sudden cheeky smile. “Yes, but i didn't plan on going, but if i do and i win, we will have enough time to save the farm!” Claire sat up, thoughts of her horse swamping her mind. A sudden thrill of excitement shot through her with the hope that she could save the land that she loved so much and compete in the state finals with her beloved horse. “We have two weeks, to get my team penning as good as it can get.” Claire said filled with confidence, her passion driving her.
“I can’t believe I made it.” Claire said to her two best friends as she led Poppy her Quarter Horse mare into her stable. “Claire and Poppy, winners of the state final! I can see it in the headlines.” Lisa said as she handed Claire a body brush. “Don't get to excited Lisa, there are a lot of good riders, all wanting the same title.” Claire smiled. “Yes, but you have the best horse.” Kate said handing Poppy yet another carrot. “Now that I do.” Claire laughed. Looking up Claire saw David walking around the corner, his boots covered in dirt, with a hat firmly in place. Claire bit her lip as she studied him. He shared her love for both horses and the land. And now he was yet again by her side, supporting her. If only he knew how i felt, Claire thought smiling up at him. “Claire, better get ready, we are on next.” David said picking her up in his usual, familiar bear hug. She laughed and gave him a friendly punch. “I’ll saddle up.” she said.
“We did the best we could.” Claire whispered to her team, David and Bobby, both holding their breath. Kate and Lisa appeared “You did so well! Wasn't Poppy great?” Lisa said excitedly. “Yes, she was gorgeous! Oh listen, they are about to announce the winners.” Claire said taking a deep breath. A voice cracked over the microphones, “Excuse me ladies and gents, riders and horses, I have this years winner. At only 18 Claire Jones, and her team David Williams and Bobby White has won state final team penning! Congratulations!” Claire was lost for words. She smiled at her two friends as they pulled the bank manager Mr. Smith from the crowd. She could only imagine what lecture he was receiving, she laughed. Reluctant to get away Mr. Smith made his way towards her, he raised his hand, silencing her “Before you scold me,I have pulled a few strings and I have gotten you more time to pay off the farm, and with your winnings, it will help allot.” he said. “Thank you!” Claire cried. Davids hand slipped into hers as he pulled her towards him, kissing her gently on the lips. “I love you Claire Jones.” He whispered. Closing her eyes, Claire took it all in. “I think this is the best day of my life.” Claire said, pulling him closer.
No comments:
Post a Comment